Sun-dried tomatoes' sundry thoughts

Sunday, April 29, 2007

Online

I've excused myself from blogging for almost two months. During this time, I went to HK for 3 weeks. Learned to cope with a life without a reliable board band internet connection. It's difficult. These days, even resort hotels come with in-room complimentary internet access. (note: it didn't apply to the city in general, just the place I stayed)

For me, who never own a cellular phone, web access connects me to the rest of the world. It's not like I have a double life or living in one of those virtual game worlds when I am online. But I do most of my communications through the wire. I don't expect immediate access or responses from others, I don't need to be able to locate anyone throughout the day. I don't think SMS every minute or making a phone call directly to my buddies at any time can improve relationships. In fact, I think this technology generates the type of expectations that ironically creates insecurity.

Back home, I was jet lagged and sick for a few weeks. I missed my friends and missed the shopping paradise. But this is the part of the world that I make a living. I wasn't need there, and neither did here. I just exist as a form. By the time this body disappears, there's probably no traces of my existence. Somehow I may have a virtual life, I may want to be remembered here, I may want to get online to prove I have a life. To live the comfort by knowing some thoughts of mine are flowing between the lines, on the servers somewhere, somehow, somebody may come across.