Sun-dried tomatoes' sundry thoughts

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Money de motivator


Seeing Enron - the smartest guy in the room, I wonder how those big corporation executives thinks.

All common men like good ideas, and what is to offer these days are virtual ideas of future satisfaction. Enterprises aim for a profit. On the surface, profit in general is an revenue from providing the commodity/ services. The game grows more complex after this concept of shares and stock gets introduced.

Besides making money from trading what an entity produce, people start trading the shares of the entity - the value of the entity itself. In a perfect world, the one who gives the best service receives the most money, the asset of the company's profolio expand, the value of the enterprise rises, and the cost of shares reflects that. A trusted business can make profit on their shares just by blowing air on things their never had.

In the documentary, Enron guys instead of selling what they produced, they traded what others made. There was nothing wrong with this until they started to sell what they hadn't own, lied to the public continuously on their services, drove up the energy prices by turning off their own taps, and causing disruptions on people's regular lives. I am not commenting on the stories behind all these energy de-regulation decisions, but this system won't work without proper monitoring of the service by a neutral party.

A success business grows. A corporation exists to make profits. We have no problem with these statements but the social ethics is really ate at low point. As a consumer, we wish those businesses are run by good people who give us reliable products. The board of directors and shareholders only see the gaining power of the organization as of now. Ethics which is a low priority is out of the window and long gone.

What is in the mind of those corrupted executives is hard to imagine. I am low in the food chain and I am happy or content with where I am and what I get. I am greedy. I don't mind getting more but I want a good sleep at night too. Money does not really motivates the way I work, of course I need to put food on the table. I like work, and I like technical work and that's what gets me up in the morning. Money is not a sole motivator to me, I turn down higher pay jobs because I don't want the tasks. But money can be a de motivator in the case when your co-worker doing the exact same job got 50 cents more per hour.

I don't know how those Enron guys think. Maybe I just have no intention to learn. I am not a rich guy and I am gladly not struggling to be one. I once worked in a small enterprise and I saw how corrupted those people could be. And they didn't see themselves bad. No one is innocent, and I am a sinner, too. Maybe all North American business are similar, they are running be similar type of people. Once a bad habit becomes popular, it becomes commonly acceptable. I think once we get to a point of greed, we become inventive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home