Sun-dried tomatoes' sundry thoughts

Thursday, July 19, 2007

Growing pain

Calgary used to be a good place to live in. The center of oil and gas industry in Canada, lower tax, small population, spacious, well, but extreme winter. This is the place you can actually find free lunch during stampede time - if you don't mind to stay in line for an hour. It was the best kept secret until recently, coincidentally, I blame it as an effect of the movie Brokeback mountain.

The population shot up from 650,000 to over 1 million over the past few years. Most of the new comers are from other provinces or immigrants. Calgary is now officially a 'city'. The truth is the infrastructure can not catch up with the fast growing population. Not enough roads, not enough houses, shortage of labor, living cost is rocket high.

I say Calgary now misses the convenient of a big city and lost the personal space for living in a town. My optimistic friend correct me by saying Calgary has more space for us than a big city and more convenient than living in a town. I am not sure if I can agree, but it is certainly not the same place I began with long time ago.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home